How to prepare for JEE Main and IIT JEE Advanced?

jee-advanced
iit-jee
jee-main

I will be appearing in the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) next year. Can you please tell me how to prepare for JEE (Main) and IIT JEE Advanced? I would like to know about the following aspects of JEE preparation.

Important Books - What books to study from for JEE?
Time table - How should I divide time to prepare for JEE?
Preparation Strategy - Tips and guidance!

Thanks in advance!

Ask JEE Questions and Doubts Here
What is the syllabus for JEE main from 12 th and 11 th?

JEE 2017 will be held in two parts, the JEE (Main) and JEE (Advanced). So far there is no news of whether there would be change in pattern or not, so let us proceed assuming that the exam pattern of JEE Main 2017 would be same as this year.

Preparation for JEE Main 2017 and IIT JEE Advanced 2017 will be complementary. That means that you do not have to separately prepare for them. Difficulty level wise, JEE Main is a little easier than IIT JEE but preparation should be equally rigorous as the number of candidates competing for seats in top engineering colleges is high.

1 | Important Books for JEE (Main + Advanced) 2017 Preparation.

General books

• NCERT for all subjects.
  • Pradeep’s for chemistry - to understand theory of some chapters, and problem solving.

Subject wise books

Mathematics

• RD Sharma
  • IA Maron for Calculus
  • Thomas Finney
  • Hall and Knight for Algebra

Chemistry

• OP Tandon for Organic and Inroganic Chemistry
  • RC Mukherjee’s book on chemical calculations
  • P Bahadur for numerical chemistry

Physics

• HC Verma volume 1 and 2
  • DC Pandey’s IIT JEE Physics
  • Resnick Halliday’s Problems in General Physics.

First study theory from NCERT and solve all its exercise problems. In maths, definitely solve the Misc exercises. Then move on to these books to build your problem solving skills.

2 | Time Table and Time Management for JEE Main and Advanced 2017 Preparation.

Thankfully, you are starting early! (Way to go! :slight_smile: )

Daily schedule - Pay attention in school and coaching, so that whenever something is being taught, you understand that then and there only. When you do self studies, you can then focus on problem solving.

Along with theory, keep practicing MCQs. For example after studying one chapter of Physics from NCERT, solve all its questions from HC Verma.

Month wise - In a diary or notebook, divide chapters of class 11 and 12 month-wise. Make the goals realistic and stick to them.

By the time class 11 topics are finished, do a revision by attempting a mock test or trying to attempt class 11 questions in past year JEE Papers.

Each day you need to focus on managing time. But keep in mind that health is also important. So do not compromise on eating and sleeping during preparation. Also, do not waste time in travel, try to join a coaching / tuition that is nearer to your home.

3 | Preparation Strategy

The best strategy is to do self analysis continuously and strive to improve every day. Divide the topics into three columns - 1. Strength, 2. Weakness, 3. Okayish. Each day, work on your strengths and make them unbeatable; work on your weaknesses and try to shift them to okayish; work on your okayish topics and move them to strengths!

Soon you will be able to ace the exam!!!

Best of luck!

JEE Main / IIT JEE Advanced 2016 Preparation Time Table
Important Topics to Study for JEE Main and IIT JEE Advanced 2016

Where I can find RC Mukherjee Solutions. Also for OP Tondon

I don’t think their solutions are available in the market.

I am preparing for JEE and going through last year question papers. I study in 11th class. Looking through the question papers I found out that I could easily solve Physics Problems but had difficulty in solving Maths and Chemistry Problems ( well Maths only bit problematic ). Are there any methods by which I can get well in these subjects too.
Thank you in advance :smile:

Mathematics is a very faithful subject. Apart from understanding the basics, a lot depends on how much you practice. Class 11 and 12 mathematics is differs from the math you have studied till 10th, largely because you have to cover a lot of diverse types of problems at once. Integration specifically is a nightmare for most students! For this, I would suggest you solve each and every problem in NCERT and RD Sharma (I really mean every qs, don’t skip even one). After you have solved one book, you will be able to identify patterns when you see a question. With practise, you can ace the Math paper in boards, as well as in competitive exams!

Chemistry is a tricky subject. I say so, because the three sub topics namely physical chemistry, organic chemistry, and inorganic chemistry are vastly different from each other. You may find one interesting, another boring, and third scary. Identify your weak areas and ask a teacher (school / coaching / tuition) to tell you more about these topics.

For example, if you are facing difficulty in organic chemistry, you can be made to easily understand the properties, and reactions; simply by making you understand how the specific bonds participate in a reaction. Once you know that, rest is cakewalk.

If you are facing trouble in numerical problems in chemistry, try solving P. Bahadur. This book has extensive numerical questions.

Let me know if there is any specific topic we could help you out with.

Well I kind of love maths but I am not able to understand the mechanisms of the reactions in chem. very well… I find Organic very interesting but I cannot make out the mechanism behind a reaction easily…

Are you attending classes in school regularly, and is your teacher compassionate / understanding? If yes, please ask your teacher to explain you the reaction mechanisms properly in free time. There is no reaction without a reason! Try to understand why two things are reacting, and you will never have trouble solving a question :smile:
Also, if teachers are not helping, google it! Just write the name of the reaction and search for its reaction mechanisms. There are some excellent open resources provided by Universities of other countries that have step by step reaction mechanisms explained.

Don’t give up!

Hey guys how to prepare for jee mains in 2 months specially chemistry

If you have already completed your board syllabus. If you are clear with almost all the concept of NCERT which is expected now then you are almost done. If you are not or lagging somewhere, start revising. Revise that part first where you are not comfortable much and then when you are tired of studying then revise the easy part. In this way I think you can start revising and can complete revising all the topics in short time.

After that you can start preparing from previous year JEE paper to see where you stand. If you perform horribly, I’d advise you to focus on your boards though that should not happen if you are confident about your NCERT syllabus.

Few tips

• Make a rough plan to cover up all the chapter (All the chapters should be covered)
  • Do not waste much time on other things such as things out of syllabus
  • Must do all previous 10-15 years question paper completely. This will help you the most. You may like to buy the arihant book that contains previous year papers.
  • Never ever lose hope or lose consistency in preparation.
  • Have the confidence you can crack it and start studying.
  • Keep your fundamentals always clear.
  • Practice as much as you can. The more you get the clear picture of the concepts involved.
  • Discuss with friends. It helps a lot.
  • Remember if your input of study is 4 hours output must be 4 hours

Thanks for reply but I am repeater board 89.5% mains rank 24000 advance rank 12900 but now I am losing confidence and less marks in coaching test so help me how to revise and do well

I would suggest you to refer this JEE Main Preparation in 30 days for JEE Main article.

‎JEE‬ Main Exam is quite near so here are some revision tips for you. Get tips here: http://admission.aglasem.com/jee-main-revision-tips/

Do it rightly and crack the exam! :slight_smile:

Hello,
To prepare for JEE Main and Advanced Exam you can take help from the tips and tricks

• Make a fixed schedule
  • Make a list of books and notes and study material you want to prepare from
  • Make a complete sight on the syllabus for exams
  • mark the important topics and read them first
  • ask to your teachers if you get any doubt
  • solve previous year questions for practice
  • stay positive and work by heart don’t waste a single minute from now