General Design & Automobile Design Courses

Is it possible to do a general design course and subsequently a automobile design course without going through the engineering stream ?

To answer your query, first of all I would like to tell you about Automobile design courses in India.

Admission in National Institute of Design

NID offers PG in Transportation and Automobile Design. Eligibility criteria for this course, as mentioned in the latest admission brochure states:

• (2½ years) Degree in Industrial Design, Engineering, Technology, Architecture or Interior Design, OR recognized Diploma in Design (under 10+2+4yr).

Further, Upper age limit for candidates is 30 years (relaxable by 3 years for reserved categories) as on June 1 of the year of admission.

Admission in Industrial Design Centre, IIT Bombay

IDC IIT Bombay offers Masters in Mobility and Vehicle Design. The UG qualifications prescribed and other eligibility criteria include:

• Valid CEED Score.
  • Bachelor’s degree in Engineering / Architecture / Design/ Interior Design, or equivalent
  • Professional Diploma of NID / Professional Diploma of CEPT (5 year program) or
  • BFA - Professional course in Applied Arts/Fine Arts(4 year Professional programme, after 10+2), with minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grades (50% in case of SC/ST).

Admission in Department of Design, IIT Guwahati

Courses offered include Bachelors in Design (B.Des) programme and Masters in Design (M.Des) programme. To enter the bachelors course, you need to qualify and get merit in the IIT JEE Advanced AAT.

Admission in MIT Institute of Design (Pune)

MITID Offers Graduate & Post Graduate Diploma Programmes in Industrial Design that includes Transportation Design. Admission is done on basis of MIT DAT.

There are several colleges that offer UG and PG courses in automobile design and allied fields. My suggestion would be that you either apply to such a UG course or if you wish to do undergraduation in any other field, go through the admission procedure of some of the major Design colleges and see their eligibility criteria for PG in course of your choice.

The admission criteria in most colleges vary and have their specific requirements. However, if you wish to pursue a career in automobile design, it is advisable to join UG course in such a field only.

Firstly than you so much Ms.Bose for your reply. Towards the end of your reply you mention several other colleges that offer UG and PG courses automobile design. Can you please send me a listing or a link giving this list ? We are also looking at General design courses as a foundation towards automobile design. It is essential that these are degree courses . We want only degree courses and we are looking at only under grad since my son is doing 12th right now. Thank you.

First of all, extremely sorry for the late response.

I understand that you wish your son to pursue a degree course, but preferably not engineering. Right? In such a case, in my opinion, it would be best to look at admission in the two colleges - NID, NIFT. Not only are they highly reputed, but it is no secret that students there get quite a good exposure to the world of designing. Your son will be able to explore a lot of avenues by the time he is ready for Post Graduation, or pursuing a career straight out of graduation.

Apart from that, some of the most sought after colleges’ admission test details are given here - Design entrance exams. Kindly have a look.

Another point I would like to suggest, is that for a talented student, it won’t be tough to pursue a career, despite his college’s ranking. But it is best to go to the really good ones only as it offers a lot more in terms of overall development and growth. In this regard, NID and NIFT are the two most well known names in the field. Other colleges that offer B.Des course are as follows.

• GNDU Punjab,
  • Apeejay college of fine arts,
  • LPU
  • SRM University
  • Design Institute of India, Indore
  • MAEER’s MIT Institute of Design, Pune
  • Srishti School of Design, Bangalore
  • DSK International School of Design, Pune
  • Wigan & Leigh College
  • Raffles Millennium International

There are plenty more, if you could specify a particular state, I can share a list accordingly.

Dear Anwesha,

thank you for your reply.

1. I am looking at a college that is recognised by a well known university like Mumbai or Pune since my son will pursure a PG abroad in design subequent to his UG in India. I dont think NIFT fits the bill as far as recognition goes isnt it ? and as the name suggests it s USP is FAshion isnt it ?? I dont think it is even affiliated to any University leave alone a good one .

2. I am essentially looking at Maharashtra state preferably Mumbai ( where we stay) or Pune for the UG design degree college which should mandatorily be affiliated to Mumbai or pune University. Pls do also send me a separate list for out of maharashtra colleges of this nature as a Plan B .

thank you again

In Maharashtra / Pune, you can check out these institutes.

• Symbiosis Institute of Design (Pune), Constituent of Symbiosis International University - offers Industrial Design.
  • MIT Institute of Design (Pune)
  • Pearl Academy, Mumbai

Lokmanya Tilak Institute of Architecture and Design Studies, Koparkhairane, Navi Mumbai is affiliated to the University of Mumbai, but unfortunately I could not find anything specific about it online. You can drop a visit to the college once to check it out if need be.

I will try to find some more colleges, and update the list here.

Dear Anwesha, Thank you so much.

MIT design - its maharashtra inst of tech right ? So is the design school affiliated to Pune univ ?

Pearl academy - any affiliation to mumbai univ ?

kind regards,
ashwin

Pearl Academy (formerly Pearl Academy of Fashion) is a private higher education institute in India, offering undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma courses in design, fashion and business.

No Affiliation to Mumbai University