Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DTU VS NIT Trichy VS Surathkal VS Warangal

Re: DTU VS NIT Trichy VS Surathkal VS Warangal

Quote Originally Posted by VVP95 View Post
    Could you also rate these colleges on food and hostel and table tennis facilities (embarrasing to ask but necessary to know)? I am very sensitive to bad food, and I fall sick quite often, hence I'm worried. I haven't been healthy for almost 6 months now (maybe exam stress) and I don't wanna take risks, so could you just compare the colleges on these factors too?
    I am really sorry, but regarding these things we always get mixed opinion

Food in NITs as well as IITs and DTU is hygeinic. Plus you can always buy fruits, maintain basic hygeine yourself and stay healthy. Moreover, the reason most college students fall ill is because they themselves mess up things like not eating food on time (mess timings are very very strict so if you are late or too early you dont get food), eating too much junk food and so on. Rest assured, cases of food poisoning are rare these days and colleges take utmost care to serve good food in mess. Canteens are invariably unhealthy germ breeding grounds, so eat there at your own risk. Though I can proudly say my friends have survived

TT - No idea. This depends on your seniors and your batch. In DTU for instance, there are many facilities, but only when students are active, the hostel committee makes sure that the certain sports students play more are taken care of. In my batch and senior batches were crazy about basketball and badminton. so these two things were wll maintained.

NIT Trichy sports
    The sports clubs and organisations at NIT Trichy
    • National Sports Organisation
    • Karate Club
    • Trekking Club

NIT Warangal
    Chess, Caroms, Gymnastics, Shuttle badminton with wooden flooring, Table Tennis, Weight Lifting and 16 & 12 stations multi-Gyms.

No idea about NIT Surathkal

I have seen in some press news that NIT Patna has TT facilities
    JEE Main 2014 | JEE Advanced 2014 | VITEEE 2014 | MGIMS PMT 2014 | How to study effectively
    Please feel free to ask any queries related to all admission exams and procedures. If you have any queries regarding Admission 2014, Entrance exams, exam preparation or any other question, please ask here.

So what you're saying is that the level of DTU is bound to come down as the very very low rankers (not good at studies nor interested in ideas) are joining DTU?...........Hence projects and then placements are bound to come down?

Ok so between Trichy and Warangal, why should I choose Warangal over Trichy or vice versa?
    You are a great quizzer :P

See what I think about DTU students may be proven wrong. After all I myself had a blast in four years in college and enjoyed every moment of it. But of late I have seen students complaining about this and that. Regarding NIT Trichy too some students who joined in 2010 are surprised to see the relatively lower placements this year. But in all this perhaps the college is not at fault. Perhaps it is because of the fact that there is a job crunch or something else. But the gut feeling is that a college where students are better is automatically a better college. Then again, being in Delhi has advantages. Like in third year you can better internship opportunities, go to CAT coaching, IAS coaching (undoubtedly in terms of coaching classes, Delhi is sought after).

Between Warangal and Trichy it all boils down to which branch and then which place. According to you, which state are you more willing to go to?
    JEE Main 2014 | JEE Advanced 2014 | VITEEE 2014 | MGIMS PMT 2014 | How to study effectively
    Please feel free to ask any queries related to all admission exams and procedures. If you have any queries regarding Admission 2014, Entrance exams, exam preparation or any other question, please ask here.

i am a NRI and i have been selected in NIT surathkal mechanical. my interest is in mechanical. i am also applying for dtu (mechanical) and will surely get into mech in dtu bcaus i have got full score in SAT. my doubt is which has better placements for mechanical?nitk or dtu?and abt mechanical faculty in both the colleges...

I am dead sure on mechanical and I am fine with any state, does that narrow down my options?
    So it just boils down to how good a student I am.........................Fine. Do you know anyone on this forum from NIT Trichy or Warangal? I wanna know which mechanical is better?

Quote Originally Posted by drago007 View Post
    i am a NRI and i have been selected in NIT surathkal mechanical. my interest is in mechanical. i am also applying for dtu (mechanical) and will surely get into mech in dtu bcaus i have got full score in SAT. my doubt is which has better placements for mechanical?nitk or dtu?and abt mechanical faculty in both the colleges...
    As of 31 march, 2013 this is the data for NIT K

Data as on 31-03-2013
    Branch Total Students Placed Yet to be Placed %placed
    Civil 93 49 44 52.69
    Chemical 50 22 28 44.00
    Computer 106 82 24 77.36
    E&C 104 86 18 82.69
    E&E 103 70 33 67.96
    IT 103 81 22 78.64
    Mechanical 149 108 41 72.48
    Metallurgy 35 25 10 71.43
    Mining 28 13 15 46.43
    Total B. Tech 771 536 235 69.52

This is the placement data of DTU 2012 -DTU Placement Record 2012

Regarding faculty, have heard both are good! or at least as good as engineering faculty can be

I'm very interested in pursuing Mechanical engg. at any of the above colleges. I scored a 97% in CBSE, 223 in the JEE mains, 269 in BITSAT and only 43% in my JEE Advanced. My scores are pathetic, so I have given up on the IITs and BITS Pilani. These colleges are my only hope. I am from Bangalore (speak decent hindi)and am a simple and good guy. I love fun but not when it crosses all limits (I basically am very sensitive to ragging). I am a good innovator and love participating in debates, quizzes, techfests and winning them. Finally I want to work at a good company with an awesome placement and want to be among smart guys who also love to design and create awesome things. From my research, I know that DTU has very good placements, infrastructure and industry exposure, but NIT Trichy has brilliant students and awesome projects. And I dont know much about the other 2 NITs. If someone could compare them, and tell me their average packages for 2012-13, as well as, what should be my preference, I would be grateful. I want both a good placement and good student environment and the best faculty possible. So please help as I have just a month left before I make my final Decision.

Thanks in Advance...................
    Many congratulations for your score in JEE mains. I was facing exactly the same problem last year. My AIR in AIEEE was 2532 and I could have gone to any of the colleges that you have mentioned in your query. And i chose Surathkal , and I am very happy with my choice.
    Even I used to look at these rankings and get confused. But ultimately all these colleges are in the same league. None is better than the other. I personally chose Surathkal because , it is closer to my hometown , Mumbai and it has the same climate.
    Even my branch is mechanical , and I assure you Surathkal Mechanical will not let you down. It has all the facilities. And the student life in Surathkal . Its awesome !! There are many Student clubs which help you to hone your skills, be it debating ,quizzing, music, photography etc.
    Surathkal has an indoor TT halls. I am in the TT team myself , and we participate in many national competitions regularly.
    Because you are from Bangalore , Surathkal would be a good choice for you , cause it will be very close to your home.
    If you want to know more about Surathkal , reply on this thread.
    In conclusion , I would tell you, DO what you think is right. PLease dont follow the magazines ratings. I have my friends in DTU , Warangal, Trichy, and talking to them I realised that even they have the same facilities that I do.
    And as earlier mentioned in the thread, a good student will be successful anywhere. Be it Trichy, Surathkal, Warangal or DTU

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Many congratulations for your score in JEE mains. I was facing exactly the same problem last year. My AIR in AIEEE was 2532 and I could have gone to any of the colleges that you have mentioned in your query. And i chose Surathkal , and I am very happy with my choice.
    Even I used to look at these rankings and get confused. But ultimately all these colleges are in the same league. None is better than the other. I personally chose Surathkal because , it is closer to my hometown , Mumbai and it has the same climate.
    Even my branch is mechanical , and I assure you Surathkal Mechanical will not let you down. It has all the facilities. And the student life in Surathkal . Its awesome !! There are many Student clubs which help you to hone your skills, be it debating ,quizzing, music, photography etc.
    Surathkal has an indoor TT halls. I am in the TT team myself , and we participate in many national competitions regularly.
    Because you are from Bangalore , Surathkal would be a good choice for you , cause it will be very close to your home.
    If you want to know more about Surathkal , reply on this thread.
    In conclusion , I would tell you, DO what you think is right. PLease dont follow the magazines ratings. I have my friends in DTU , Warangal, Trichy, and talking to them I realised that even they have the same facilities that I do.
    And as earlier mentioned in the thread, a good student will be successful anywhere. Be it Trichy, Surathkal, Warangal or DTU
    Well said and thank you for sharing your experience :top1:

Thanks for the suggestion. My instinct is telling me to go for Trichy, as I was put off by Surathkal's bad placement records..............
    Karma, is it possible to get some placement stats for surathkal, so that I can change my mind?

Thanks for the suggestion. My instinct is telling me to go for Trichy, as I was put off by Surathkal's bad placement records..............
    Karma, is it possible to get some placement stats for surathkal, so that I can change my mind?
    These are not declared on official website, but given by students

NIT Surathkal placements Year 2012 - 2013 ( Upto March 2013 )

Branch Total Students Placed Yet to be Placed % Placed
    Civil 93 49 44 52.69
    Chemical 50 22 28 44.00
    Computer 106 82 24 77.36
    E&C 104 86 18 82.69
    E&E 103 70 33 67.96
    IT 103 81 22 78.64
    Mechanical 149 108 41 72.48
    Metallurgy 35 25 10 71.43
    Mining 28 13 15 46.43
    Total B. Tech 771 536 235 69.52

NIT Surathkal 2012 final placements

Branch Total Students Placed Yet to be Placed % Placed
    Civil 87 66 21 75.86
    Chemical 42 31 11 73.81
    Computer 89 84 5 94.38
    E&C 87 73 14 83.91
    E&E 85 75 10 88.24
    IT 85 73 12 85.88
    Mechanical 126 109 17 86.51
    Metallurgy 27 20 7 74.07
    Mining 27 26 1 96.30
    Total B. Tech 655 557 98 85.04

Your mind is swaying exactly the way mine was . :P . But it's natural.
    Dont look at records or placement statistics. The job market changes overnight. No one knows what will happen four years from now. I dont have any such statistics, but because you are interested in mechanical , you will have to accept that your salary will not be as fanciful as your computer science counterparts.
    This will be the same in Trichy as well.
    You need to decide on factors beyond placements/faculty/facilities as both colleges have are equal on this front.
    Being a Tamilian , even I was inclined to Trichy. You need to realise that Trichy does not have a cosy climate like bangalore does. It will become excessively hot and dry. And if there are power cuts( Which i heard , they have excessively you need to confirm about this from someone else though) your stay in hostel will be terrible. This is what changed my mind. Besides the fact that it is very far from Bombay
    Do what you think is the best. I am not here to advertise for surathkal. All the best